Want to obtain child care licensing?

In the state of California, there are two types of child care licenses. For more specific information on obtaining either type of child care license in Alameda, Albany, Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland, or Piedmont, please Call 510.658.7353 or e-mail us.

Family child care license: This type of license is for people who work in their own homes as caregivers. BANANAS assists prospective family child care providers in Northern Alameda County with all sorts of information about membership support associations, the Federal Food Program, insurance, workshops, classes and, of course, how to get child care referrals from us.

Child care center license: This license is for people who wish to provide child care services in an out-of-home setting. BANANAS assists prospective center-based providers with information and support throughout all steps of the process, sample documents for the licensing application and referrals to support services.

There are certain types of programs that can operate without a license and these are referred to as exempt programs. However, since the law governing exemptions changes, the State Department of Social Services (DSS), Community Care Licensing should be contacted at 510.622.2602 with questions about the status of any proposed program. If the program fits the description of one of these exempt types of care, write the DSS office, describe the planned program, and ask for written verification that the program does not need to be licensed.

Exempt programs currently include:

  • Any arrangement where a parent cares for his/her own children (or those of a relative) and children from only one other family.
  • Cooperative arrangements where parents rotate responsibility and no money changes hands. The person (or persons) providing care must be related in some way to at least one child in the cooperative.
  • Extended care programs operated by public or private schools, serving at least 85% of their own students.
  • Vacation-time activities for children of an instructional nature in a classroom setting.
  • Any program that offers temporary child care services (parents must remain on the same premises, and the program must not be operated at a ski facility, shopping mall, or department store).
  • Public (such as city, county, or school district) recreation programs (not YMCA, Girls’ Club, etc.). School-age or 12 weeks per year. Preschool-age programs must operate during hours other than normal school hours and must be less than 16 hours per week or 12 weeks per year. Preschool-age programs must be less than 12 hours per week and 12 weeks per session.
  • School-age parenting  programs (SAPID) run by school districts for children of teen parents.
  • Any adult education child care operated by a public school district.